Centrax is seeking an experienced Mechanical Fitter as part of its Assembly team to produce generator sets and repair gas turbine engines at its Newton Abbot facility. Start date will be subject to satisfactory pre-employment screening.
Generating trust with clean, efficient power generation
Mechanical Fitter – Turbine Repair
Centrax is seeking experienced Mechanical Fitters as part of its Turbine Repair team to carry out all mechanical aspects of servicing, maintenance, repair and overhaul works necessary to maintain a customer fleet of Industrial Gas Turbines and equipment IAW predetermined specifications and drawings to meet customer’s requirements.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Strip down and rebuild of gas turbine engines IAW Company processes and procedures.
- Carry out thorough cleaning of engine, associated components and detail parts using chemical / ultrasonic / manual methods and carry out subsequent inspections and dimensional assessments utilising videoscopes, microscopes, micrometers, DTI’s, CMM’s, height gauges, and other precision equipment.
- Inspection of turbine and compressor blades and carry out any necessary rectification including dressing, grit blast and glass peen as required.
- Assess components for serviceability including but not limited to requirements for refurbishing, coating and NDT.
- Balance components and assemblies to determine multiplane corrections if required using a variety of methods, equipment and programming of machinery.
- Build of products by following documented procedures (involving pressure testing of components, use of liquid nitrogen and induction heating for high tolerance fitting, degaussing of components, continuity and resistance testing) and recording required details to provide detailed comprehensive build and dimensional records.
- Assist with Investigative analysis for turbines which have failed in the field or during test. Carry out photographic records and produce reports for any customer or insurance company.
- Install turbines in test and carry out pre-test checks prior to handover to test cell staff and carry out the required repairs in situ if required.
- Assist in receipt and dispatch of engine assemblies ensuring correctly installed in dedicated shipping pods and containers.
- Carry out installation and repairs on any special projects or equipment / tooling (bespoke design) / machinery, including full diagnostic investigation, selection of parts, repair and final checks as directed by the area supervisor.
- Assist area supervisor with review of technical documentation, (including procedure writing), in relation to their accuracy and compliance with both Centrax and national standards
- Assist with training of customer support engineers, new fitters and Centrax apprentices, on the strip, investigation and assembly of turbines.
- Be competent (after training) to use a variety of mechanical lifting techniques and equipment (Overhead gantries, hoists, lifting attachments, slings and shackles).
- Flexibility to work in other mechanical disciplined areas of the business as required.
- Work on customer sites and installations both in the UK and abroad.
- Carry out duties compatible with this job and the employees’ individual skills as required by management.
Full training will be given on all aspects of the tasks listed above.
Skills and Qualifications
- Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship or 5 years related experience.
- BTEC National Certificate or City & Guilds – Mechanical. Level 3 Minimum.
- Experience / knowledge of industrial or aero-derivative gas turbine engines.
- NDT Techniques.
- Any LOLER qualification (or equivalent).
- IOSH Working Safely (or equivalent).
- Any Team Leader or Management Qualification.
- Experience of general mechanical fitting in a comparable industry eg, aerospace, marine, automotive or heavy plant.
- Working knowledge of power generation systems.
- Industrial experience preferred.
- Competent in use of hand and power tools including power/air/impact drills etc.
- Competent in the use of inspection / measuring equipment and techniques.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Working knowledge of IT / MS Office.
- Desire to develop professionally.
- Good level of literacy, numeracy and attention to detail.
- Able to follow Company policies, procedures and processes.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Limited medical cover
- Death in Service benefit
- Secure parking
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days
Please provide a full CV when applying and also provide an explanation for any gaps in your employment history where applicable, along with your salary expectations.
Closing Date for applications: 2 June 2023
Whilst applications from persons meeting all of the essential requirements are invited, applicants must also be working in the UK or already have the right to do so and, where required, must be able to relocate to within daily commutable distance of Newton Abbot at short notice and at their own expense.
Centrax is committed to ensuring your privacy is protected. Information by which you can be identified during and after the recruitment process will be handled in accordance with our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
At Centrax we know the precise type of person who would flourish in our business. As such we won’t consider speculative or unsolicited CVs from agencies whether emailed to Centrax employees or the HR team.
We only use agencies who have signed up to our preferred supplier list and have an understanding of our business. Only our selected recruitment partners will earn a fee where we have instructed them directly within a specific remit.
Date of Advertisement: 15 May 2023
Vacancy Ref. 2316
- Press Release: Centrax strengthens relationship with Siemens Energy
- Centrax cogeneration plant lowering environmental impact in Italy
- Latest gas turbine technology powering major Italian ceramics facility
- Centrax generator sets to power paper mill in the UK
- Centrax to upgrade six gas turbine generator sets in Croatia